Walmart is the retail market leader the West Texas retail market, but Albertsons/Safeway have gained share in the past year, according to the latest figures from The Shelby Report.
January retail market share in West Texas/New Mexico/Colorado/Kansas (including the markets of Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, El Paso, Amarillo, Lubbock, Wichita Falls, Abilene, Odessa) put Walmart on top of retail players.
Total retail sales for the market were $10.11 billion, according to The Shelby Report.
Market share numbers:
- Walmart: 107 stores, 41% market share, up 0.6 points compared with last year;
- Albertsons/Safeway: 104 stores, 24.8% market share, up 10.8 points;
- Affiliated Amarillo (wholesale): 180 stores, 13.4% market share, up 0.2 points;
- United Family: 47 stores, 11% market share, up 0.3 points;
- Lowe’s Pay-N-Save: 85 stores, 6.9% market share, no change;
- Fry’s (Kroger): 28 stores, 6.5% market share, down 0.5 points;
- H-E-B: 6 stores, 4.1% market share, up 0.1 points;
- Whole Foods: 4 stores, 1.2%, no change; and
- Sprouts: 10 stores, 1% market share; newly added.