United Fresh Produce Association web seminars on Good Agricultural Practices harmonized standards and cyclospora are slated for November and December.
The web seminar, available for registration online, on GAP standards is set for Nov. 14 and will explore the relationship of harmonized GAP standards to the Global Food Safety Initiative and the current status of the standard. The session will also go over proposed changes to the harmonized standards, according to the release.
Speakers at the web seminar are:
- Dr. Emily Griep, manager of food safety for the United Fresh Produce Association;
- Calibration committee member Audrey Draper, audit programs coordinator for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Marketing Service; and
- Calibration committee member Ram Balasubramanian, CEO of the Quality Certification Services.
The second web seminar, on cyclospora, is scheduled for Dec. 5, according to the release. Registration is available online . The emerging pathogen is becoming a big concern in the industry, according to the release and the session will advise how to avoid cyclospora contamination in fresh produce operations.
The release said speakers at the web seminar will be:
- John Gurrisi, director of food safety and product quality for Fresh Express; and
- Drew McDonald, vice president of qaulity and safetyQuality and Food Safety, Taylor Farms.