Idaho Falls, Idaho-based Potandon Produce introduced its low-carbohydrate CarbSmart potato at Produce Marketing Association’s Fresh Summit show in October, said Ralph Schwartz, vice president of sales.

The new item is part of Potandon’s promotional focus on potatoes as healthy items, Schwartz said.

“It’s the first of many that will come out that have additional health benefits,” he said of CarbSmart.

The first shipments of CarbSmart were scheduled to go out Nov. 20, Schwartz said.

“Too late for Thanksgiving, but it will be available for Christmas and the New Year’s market, which is actually more important,” he said.

Fewer carbs

CarbSmart is a yellow-flesh, yellow-skin potato, available in a 5-pound bag under the Green Giant Fresh brand, Schwartz said.

The product has 55% fewer carbohydrates than rice or pasta, Schwartz said.

“It’s marketed that way (against other starchy foods) because competing against other potatoes isn’t going to be a long-term win,” he said.

“When you look at this potato, it has 7 grams less carbs per serving than a regular yellow potato. We’ve been testing it for years. It’s exciting.”

Comments
Submitted by Piet Jonker on Tue, 01/30/2018 - 10:24

Hello,
I have a quistion, is there an posibility to buy these patoto's. I live in the Netherlands.
Greetings Piet Jonker

Submitted by SW on Wed, 03/21/2018 - 11:46

I have bought Potandon CarbSmart yellow potatoes and loved them but cannot find them anymore. I live in Wisconsin and would like to find them again. Loved them.

Submitted by barb on Wed, 06/20/2018 - 10:48

I live in Ohio and cannot find them either. Meijers did carry them but do not anymore

In reply to by SW (not verified)

Submitted by Lynne on Fri, 03/23/2018 - 12:26

Is it gmo free?

Submitted by Martha Mersiovsky on Fri, 03/23/2018 - 18:42

I live in the Dallas area were can I find them?

Submitted by Vickie on Mon, 04/02/2018 - 12:32

I love these potatoes and they're great for the Weight Watchers plan. I am having difficulty finding them again.

Submitted by Karen Ogle on Sun, 04/22/2018 - 17:59

I loved the "Smart Carb" potatoes, so sad to say they are no longer available at the store. Becoming a newly type II diabetic, I now have to watch my carb intake, I loved your product, it was easy to manage and follow my diet utilizing your product. Please bring back, I am told by the store that your product is out of season? Would love to be able to order and buy your product if possible.

Submitted by Phyllis Dunn on Sat, 05/26/2018 - 14:23

I love your carb smart potatoes and so do my friends and families. Could you tell me where I could buy these or order them online?

In reply to by Karen Ogle (not verified)

Submitted by julie carlson on Thu, 05/17/2018 - 14:26

Where can I purchase Carb Smart Yellow Potatos in Vancouver, WA or Portland, Or? thanks

Submitted by Marlene Wallace on Sun, 05/20/2018 - 14:06

I live in Coldwater MI and purchased green giant carb smart potatoes at a local Meijer store. They stopped carrying them. Where can I buy these potatoes?

Submitted by Lee Rico on Tue, 08/14/2018 - 09:40

I also purchased them once at Meijer and cannot find them anywhere anymore. I had really cut back on potatoes to cut carbs and these fir my diet and were delicious! I hope to see them at Meijer again...soon.