Idaho Falls, Idaho-based Potandon Produce introduced its low-carbohydrate CarbSmart potato at Produce Marketing Association’s Fresh Summit show in October, said Ralph Schwartz, vice president of sales.

The new item is part of Potandon’s promotional focus on potatoes as healthy items, Schwartz said.

“It’s the first of many that will come out that have additional health benefits,” he said of CarbSmart.

The first shipments of CarbSmart were scheduled to go out Nov. 20, Schwartz said.

“Too late for Thanksgiving, but it will be available for Christmas and the New Year’s market, which is actually more important,” he said.

Fewer carbs

CarbSmart is a yellow-flesh, yellow-skin potato, available in a 5-pound bag under the Green Giant Fresh brand, Schwartz said.

The product has 55% fewer carbohydrates than rice or pasta, Schwartz said.

“It’s marketed that way (against other starchy foods) because competing against other potatoes isn’t going to be a long-term win,” he said.

“When you look at this potato, it has 7 grams less carbs per serving than a regular yellow potato. We’ve been testing it for years. It’s exciting.”

Comments
Submitted by Piet Jonker on Tue, 01/30/2018 - 10:24

Hello,
I have a quistion, is there an posibility to buy these patoto's. I live in the Netherlands.
Greetings Piet Jonker

Submitted by SW on Wed, 03/21/2018 - 11:46

I have bought Potandon CarbSmart yellow potatoes and loved them but cannot find them anymore. I live in Wisconsin and would like to find them again. Loved them.

Submitted by barb on Wed, 06/20/2018 - 10:48

I live in Ohio and cannot find them either. Meijers did carry them but do not anymore

In reply to by SW (not verified)

Submitted by Lynne on Fri, 03/23/2018 - 12:26

Is it gmo free?

Submitted by Martha Mersiovsky on Fri, 03/23/2018 - 18:42

I live in the Dallas area were can I find them?

Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 11/18/2018 - 09:47

I live in the Austin area and can only find the at HEB.

In reply to by Martha Mersiovsky (not verified)

Submitted by Vickie on Mon, 04/02/2018 - 12:32

I love these potatoes and they're great for the Weight Watchers plan. I am having difficulty finding them again.

Submitted by Karen Ogle on Sun, 04/22/2018 - 17:59

I loved the "Smart Carb" potatoes, so sad to say they are no longer available at the store. Becoming a newly type II diabetic, I now have to watch my carb intake, I loved your product, it was easy to manage and follow my diet utilizing your product. Please bring back, I am told by the store that your product is out of season? Would love to be able to order and buy your product if possible.

Submitted by Phyllis Dunn on Sat, 05/26/2018 - 14:23

I love your carb smart potatoes and so do my friends and families. Could you tell me where I could buy these or order them online?

In reply to by Karen Ogle (not verified)

Submitted by julie carlson on Thu, 05/17/2018 - 14:26

Where can I purchase Carb Smart Yellow Potatos in Vancouver, WA or Portland, Or? thanks

Submitted by Marlene Wallace on Sun, 05/20/2018 - 14:06

I live in Coldwater MI and purchased green giant carb smart potatoes at a local Meijer store. They stopped carrying them. Where can I buy these potatoes?

Submitted by Lee Rico on Tue, 08/14/2018 - 09:40

I also purchased them once at Meijer and cannot find them anywhere anymore. I had really cut back on potatoes to cut carbs and these fir my diet and were delicious! I hope to see them at Meijer again...soon.

Submitted by Eric on Mon, 09/24/2018 - 09:19

I’ll stick with regular potatoes thank you. If I want something with less carbs, I’ll eat veggies, but if I want potatoes, it is for the carbs and the way they satisfy. People need to stop worrying about potatoes and any other starchy carb and look at what they are putting on them. Over 70% of daily food is from carbs and I am slimming down. I probably eat 10-15 lbs of potatoes a week.

Submitted by Janine on Mon, 10/22/2018 - 14:11

Bought these at my local Ingles Supermarket. I was looking for yellow potatoes - not necessarily carb smart ones...but hey. I looked to make sure they were not green as that is not a good potato to eat - there is only a tiny window. Now I know why...all of them were green. YUCK! I'll not purchase these again. They need to be in a bag with a view. Don't waste your money.

Submitted by LM Waldrop on Tue, 12/04/2018 - 13:20

I also bought my 1st bag of these potatoes from Ingles in SC . The small 3"x3"window, two thirds of which wraps across the bottom of the bag, also revealed a green potato, but I decided to risk the purchase. I too, avoid green potatoes as a rule. The bag was well filled with nice sized, smooth skinned, minimally scarred and well shaped potatoes. It was a buyer's dream. Of the 14 potatoes in the bag, 4 were green all the way around, 5 were green on one side and yellow-green on the flip side and 5 were yellow all around. I microwaved one of the potatoes that was in the process of turning from yellow to green. It was delicious. The texture is not grainy but the advertised creamy texture. They do have a buttery flavor. I could be hooked on these potatoes. I do plan to return the bag to the store to discuss with the produce manager the condition of the potatoes.

In reply to by Janine (not verified)

Submitted by Jacquelyn Vairin on Tue, 11/13/2018 - 11:38

I, also, am looking for these low carb yellow potatoes in the new Orleans, La area! Any info where I can buy them? First and only time was I was able to purchase them was from Rouse's in Metairie, La. 70001 ( a suburb of new Orleans, La. ) They are so delicious !!!