Growers Express, Salinas, Calif., is recalling a variety of fresh-cut products, including Green Giant Fresh brand butternut squash and Cauliflower Crumble products, due to a positive test result for Listeria monocytogenes.
The Massachussetts Department of Health, which found one positive sample of listeria, notified Growers Express, which posted the recall on the Food and Drug Administration’s website.
No illnesses have been reported in connection with the July 1 recall. Most of the products have “Best If Used By” dates of June 26-29.
No frozen or canned Green Giant brand products are involved.
The products originated from the Growers Express plant in Biddeford, Maine.
“The safety of our consumers is our first priority,” Tom Byrne, president of Growers Express, said in the notice posted on the FDA site. “We self-reported the need for this recall to the (FDA) and stopped production immediately after being notified of a single positive sample by the Massachusetts Department of Health.
“We are deep sanitizing the entire facility and our line equipment, as well as conducting continued testing on top of our usual battery of sanitation and quality and safety tests before resuming production,” Byrne said in the release.
Almost two dozen products are in the recall, with product going to retailers in these states:
- Big Y Foods, Massachusetts, Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Sweet Potato Crumbles, Cauliflower Crumbles “Fried Rice Blend,” and Butternut Diced;
- Bozzutos, Connecticut, Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Sweet Potato Crumbles, and Cauliflower Crumbles “Fried Rice Blend;”
- C&S, Massachusetts., Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Crumbles “Fried Rice Blend,” Butternut Cubed, and Butternut Diced;
- Food Lion, South Carolina, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Virginia, Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Crumbles “Fried Rice" Blend;
- Four Seasons, Pennsylvania, Green Giant Fresh Ramen Bowl;
- Native Maine (foodservice), Pennsylvania, Growers Express peeled butternut squash;
- Procacci, Pennsylvania, Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Sweet Potato Crumbles;
- Ruby Robinson (Performance Food Group/foodservice), Maine, peeled butternut squash;
- Shaws, Maine, Signature Farms Cauliflower Crumbles, Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Sweet Potato Crumbles, Ramen Bowl and Butternut Diced;
- Stop & Shop, New York, Maryland, Green Giant Fresh Zucchini Noodles; and
- Trader Joe’s, Alabama, Connecticut, Washington, D.C., Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee (only Knoxville and Nashville), Virginia, Vermont and Wisconsin, Butternut Squash Spirals; and
- Trader Joe's, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee (only Knoxville and Nashville), Virginia (only Glen Allen, Newport News, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg) and Wisconsin, Zucchini Spirals.
For specific items stock-keeping units, Universal Product Codes and lot numbers, and for updates, see Growers Express’ information page on the recall at http://www.growersexpress.com/voluntaryrecall/.