The U.S. Apple Association has launched its 2019-20 Apples4Ed initiative.
The initiative is a grant program designed to support healthy snacking in public schools across the U.S., according to a news release. The apple association plans to fund five $4,000 healthy snacking initiatives in 2020.
When children have access to healthy foods, they are more likely to be healthy and successful in other parts of life, according to the release.
Applications for the program are at Apples4Ed.com. Public schools with students kindergarten through 12th grade may apply.
Applications are due by Jan. 18, and winners are scheduled to be announced in March and April.
Partners of the program include the School Nutrition Association and the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture, according to the release.
Grant winners in 2018-19 were:
- Robert Coleman Elementary, Baltimore, Md.
- Michigan School for the Deaf, Flint. Mich.
- Winans Elementary in Livingston, Mont.
- Rensselaer City School District, N.Y.
- Northwest Opportunities Vocational Academy in Milwaukee, Wis.