Imports of fresh vegetables for the period were $9.31 billion for the year ending April, up 7%. Imports of frozen/fresh fruit were $15.08 billion, up 6%.
Combined U.S. imports of fruits and vegetables totaled $24.38 billion, up 6% from the previous year.
Imports of avocados increased 14% for the year ending in April, the value of grape imports rose 24% and berries (excluding strawberries) increased 8% compared with the previous year.
U.S. imports for the year from May 2019 to April 2020, with percentage change compared to the previous year:
- Berries (excluding strawberries): $2.92 billion, up 8%;
- Avocados: $2.79 billion, up 14%;
- Bananas/Plantains (fresh/frozen), $2.46 billion, up 1%;
- Tomatoes: $2.4 billion, up 1%;
- Grapes: $1.77 billion, up 24%;
- Peppers: $1,66 billion, up 4%;
- Citrus: $1.18 billion, down 6%; and
- Strawberries (fresh or frozen): $1.01 billion, up 3%.